1.01.2009

100. Ben-Hur

"By condemning without hesitation an old friend, I shall be feared" - Messala

Did a bit of research after watching this and found out the film had 300 sets and more extras in one scene than an entire movie nowadays. Even though it was this huge sprawling epic... it was sort of difficult to look past some of the effects at times. I think because of the grand films nowadays with quicker camera movements, more authentic fight scenes and high quality effects.

Suffice to say, there were a few unconvincing punches and one particularly funny whack on the head with chains.

Otherwise, it was a powerful film. The script just sounded solid and the music (every epic needs an amazing score of course!) built the emotions and the actors delivered heavy performances.  The plot... actually existed! Modern movies might be more aesthetically pleasing with their high definition picture and gruesome fights, but their plots? I think those speak for themselves... The story though had all the essentials of a good epic: strong characters, romance, family dilemma, struggle to rise up and a few chuckles. I was actually surprised the story of Jesus was included as well, truth be told. I never saw the full title of the movie/novel (Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ) so when Joseph and Mary were in the introduction, I did think to myself, "Oh hey, Jesus has a cameo." But I love the decision to never let his face be seen or his voice heard. Graceful.

Back to the effects, which were probably groundbreaking at the time (and Charlton Heston was considered attractive) but now, there are new standards. I'm not putting it down because when you put it in perspective this was a GARGANTUAN project at the time. I see why the chariot scene has become such a huge part of film history, because what you think is a miniature is actually a gargantuan arena in Rome and filled to the brim with real people. I searched for a decent picture, but couldn't find one so I can say it took up 18 acres. There were convincing death scenes in it, destruction, excitement and basically it was Roman Nascar in short.* 


Overall, I enjoyed the movie. The plot grabbed you and when it hit a few lulls, the action brought you back. Due to the length I probably won't watch it again for a year or 7 but I don't regret the time. 


*I have never watched an entire Nascar race... nor do I really intend to.

Next movie: Toy Story (1995)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toy_Story

No comments:

Post a Comment