1.28.2009

94. Pulp Fiction

"The night of the fight, you may feel a slight sting. That's pride fucking with you. Fuck pride. Pride only hurts, it never helps" - Marsellus Wallace


I'm not going to lie, I have been looking forward to this one since we started the list. I've seen this film again and again and I can't love it less. This was not only a step for visuals but also for screenwriting. Quentin Tarantino seems to just have ideas and make them all his. He IS a trademark (and a Knoxville native I might add).

Review best I can because he uses an out of sequence timeline. It intertwines about 3 or 4 different stories and how they all show up in each other's lives. There's the two hit men, the crime boss, the boxer and his wife, the small time crooks and the wife of the crime boss. I could go into more about the individual stories but then I'd tell you the entire movie. Just keep in mind it'll be gritty and raw to keep true to the title and you will actually see CHARACTERS. Not regurgitated copies of the same protagonist/antagonist.

Fun trivia that does not pertain to the actual movie, but to Quentin Tarantino. He is known for long continuous shots, a barefoot scene and a reference to Knoxville in all his films. It was actually on the set of this film that him and Uma Thurman began to talk about Kill Bill (whch isn't on the list, but I do recommend it....my dad actually found my Kill Bill lunchbox and it's sitting across from me).

Comedy galore in this film, but you sort of have to have no mercy. The intimidation tactics employed by the hitmen Jules and Vincent are a good example of this.

I can't really write a long review of this because if I summarize it I'll tell you the whole movie. If I sing its praises, it'll just build it up too much and you may be disappointed.

All I can say is to see it.


Next movie: The French Connection (1971)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_French_Connection_(film)

No comments:

Post a Comment